First Monkey Clones made by Dolly The Sheep method –
- Identical long-tailed macaques Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua were born several weeks ago at a laboratory in China.
- Two monkeys have been cloned using the technique that produced Dolly the sheep.
- Qiang Sun of the Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Neuroscience said the cloned monkeys will be useful as a model for studying diseases with a genetic basis, including some cancers, metabolic and immune disorders.
India ranks 177 out of 180 in Environmental Performance Index –
- India is among the bottom five countries on the Environmental Performance Index 2018 according to a biennial report by Yale and Columbia Universities along with the World Economic Forum.
- it ranks 178 out of 180was linked to poor performance in the environmental health policy and deaths due to air pollution categories.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Nicole Faria felicitated by the President of India –
- The honorable President of India, Ram Nath Kovind felicitated 112 woman achievers and titled them as “First Ladies” of the country including our Miss World 1994 Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Miss Earth 2010 Nicole Faria.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was honored for being the first Global Icon from India and also for being the first Indian actor to be a jury member at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival.
- The felicitation event was held at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi and the award ceremony was hosted by Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, who felicitated and congratulated the women achievers.
ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit –
- Leaders of the ten ASEAN countries, comprising Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar (Burma), Cambodia, Laos and Brunei, are in India for the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit being held in New Delhi.
- The two-day summit, which began yesterday, will be followed by the grand Republic Day parade and celebrations where the ten visiting heads of states will be present as the chief guests.
Government announces recipients of 2018 Padma awards –
- The government announced 85 Padma awards Of these, three were Padma Vibhushan, nine Padma Bhushan, and 73 Padma Shri.
- 16 awardees were either foreigners, PIOs, or NRIs, while three of the awards were conferred posthumously.
- The list of Padma awardees also includes one recipient from each ASEAN country, a move to commemorate the silver jubilee of the India-ASEAN partnership.
List of PADMA SHRI –
- Padma Shri awardees include scientist toymaker Arvind Gupta, healer Lakshmikutty, Gond artist Bhajju Shyam, 98-year-old social worker Sudhanshu Biswas, and ‘father of palliative care in India’ MR Rajagopal.
- The list also includes activists Rani and Abhay Bang, social worker Lentina Ao Thakkar, wildlife conservationist Romulus Whitaker, Sampat Ramteke, Sanduk Ruit.
- India’s first Paralympic gold medalist Murlikant Petkar, plastic road maker Rajagopalan Vasudevan, a housemaid who built a hospital for the poor Subhasini Mistry, midwife Sulagatti Narasamma, Tamil folk art exponent Vijayalakshmi, and monk physician Yeshi Dhoden are also among Padma Shri recipients.
List of PADMA BHUSHAN –
- Cricketer and former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni recieved the Padma Bhushan.
- Other Padma Bhushan awardees include billiards player Pankaj Advani, Philipose Mar Chrysostom, Alexander Kadakia, Ramachandram Nagaswamy, Laxman Pai,Ved Prakash Nanda, Arvind Parikh, and Sharda Sinha.
List of PADMA VIBHUSHAN –
- Senior RSS ideologue P Parameswaran, who was instrumental in building the Sangh cadre in Kerala, was conferred the Padma Vibhushan.
- Music composer Illaiyaraja and Ghulam Mustafa Khan are also recipients of the Padma Vibhushan.
Shaurya Chakra for bravery –
- Two CRPF CoBRA commandos have been decorated with the Shaurya Chakra.
- Assistant Commandant Vikash Jakhar and Sub-Inspector Riyaz Alam Ansari belonged to the 209th battalion of the Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA), a special CRPF unit raised for conducting intelligence-based jungle warfare and counter-insurgency operations.
- The Shaurya Chakra is the third highest peacetime military decoration after the Ashoka Chakra and the Kirti Chakra.
IAF commando gets Ashok Chakra for role in Kashmir –
- The 31-year-old Garud commando, Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala, will be the third recipient of the country’s highest peacetime gallantry award Ashok Chakra at the Republic Day Parade in the IAF’s history after Flight Lieutenant Suhas Biswas and Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma.
- Nirala was part of an elite Garud squad that launched a counter-terror operation with a Rashtriya Rifles battalion in a Bandipora village on November 18, 2017.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance, one of the leading general insurance companies in the country has launched a health insurance app ‘IL TakeCare’ in collaboration with Practo, the leading healthcare platform.
- The ‘IL TakeCare’ application works in sync with Practo’s ‘Trinity’ technology which will help patients get a paperless and cashless experience for everyday healthcare needs such as doctor visits, medicine purchase, online consultations as well as diagnostic tests.
8th National Voters’ Day- 25th January –
- The Election Commission of India celebrated the 8th National Voters’ Day across the country on 25th January for enhanced participation of citizens in the electoral process.
- The National level function was held in New Delhi.
- President Kovind gave away awards for best electoral practices to District Collectors, Superintendents of Police and other functionaries involved in election management.
- Facebook and Election Commission of India on announced rolling out a new feature on the platform that will send a reminder to users aged 18 years and above to take the pledge to vote.